Thursday, May 2, 2013

21: The Shadow Boy

So, we’re getting farther and farther along in the boring plot of the story. I think this may or may not be a chapter to remember, so keep thine eyes peeled.


“This – ” said Logan “ – is pointless.”

Nowadays, Logan never really made important decisions, and if he was discouraged, he never let it show. But in his harsh, snappy tones, the other four looked up at his pixie face – his pointy nose, long face, and sharp chin – surprised.

“You’re quite the Negative Nancy,” Flo P commented, perhaps a bit viciously.

“We don’t even know where we’re going, and why. I think we should make use of Kyun while we’re here. All right, so everyone agreed that we’d leave next Saturday, and I get that you’re all feeling trapped like rats, unable to escape, between these white walls… Honestly, you’re my friends, but I think that you’re beating about the bush. If we want to do something important, we may as well do it now. What’s the use of waiting here, arguing, bored out of our minds, and getting nowhere? We can talk about this – ” he gestured to the maps and papers strewn about “ – later.”

Casper opened his mouth to contradict that point, but closed it, realising that it wasn’t his place to disagree. He’d gotten fairly idolised as the “leader”, and that annoyed Logan, because he was the leader, and he was in charge of the Walrus Document, or had they forgotten what that was? Casper had even had the audacity to urge Logan to read it, but Logan thought the information, whatever it was, was way too dangerous for his puny mortal mind. Logan liked Casper, but once in a while he knew that he was pushing boundaries.

“So what do you want to do, then?” Ji-Ji asked him.

“I want to explore Kyun, and learn more, and perhaps gather some materials,” Logan said, asserting himself. Even Saraha looked awed at this display of power and manliness; qualities so unlike Logan. “How much money do we have, Casper? Can we get more?”

Casper stood up off the hotel floor, where they’d all been sitting in a circle, and rummaged in his rucksack for a minute. “We’ve $300,” he said. “I suppose I could get more, gambling and so forth. You know, shady stuff.”

Ji-Ji looked a little concerned that he was planning on perhaps gambling, but Logan dismissed it and nodded. “Good, try and expand with $100, then. That’ll be your task for this coming week, Casper. You’ll be in charge of food,” he continued, turning to Ji-Ji. “I don’t want to live off canned beans for another six weeks, and besides that, they’re heavy to carry. Scout the city, find whatever you can – it doesn’t really matter what type of food it is, as long as it’s light and edible.”

Ji-Ji nodded, a thousand options already in her head. “I’ll try and use a maximum of $75, and I think I have some options. There’s this thing I’ve heard of; it’s like a dried meat, but you can combine with all these different – ”

“Tell us later. Saraha, Flo P, you’ll be in charge of equipment, but in different sections. Flo P, you’ll be looking for more camping equipment – namely, better backpacks, and that sort of stuff.

“Sarah, I want you for something very different,” Logan said sombrely. “Please find us some… Oh, how do I say it?” he said, dithering.

“Extra legs?”

“Ze French accent, oui?”

“Porter potties?”

“Knives and guns and bombs and AK-47s?”

“Not bombs, exactly, but better knives, and shoes,” Logan said. “I need more shoes, look at these!” He stuck his foot in the air, and they saw how far the sole was worn down. “Basically, more defence equipment, and practical things, such as shoes; rope. See?”

“I bit vague, but I suppose so,” Saraha said decisively.

Logan grinned, refreshed by his handiwork. “Don’t wait! Here’s some money. Go on! Find good things, and meet me back here by six o’clock!”

“That was awkward,” Saraha laughed as they left the hotel, all onto their own individual jobs.

Ji-Ji said: “Yes, but at least we have something to do.”


The first person it happened to was Flo P. She was at a small mountaineering supply store, testing the elasticity of two bungee cords, and had made her purchase, when she walked out of the store, planning to find Saraha, as they had semi-similar topics. She was walking along a street called Lerman Avenue, and was planning to take a bus to Tire Street, where Saraha had last mentioned going, when she first saw him.

She didn’t know it was him at first, see. He was leaning against a lamppost, waiting for the bus like she was. His navy blue hoodie was draped over his frame; the hood pulled low. He looked like some shabby teenager, so Flo P didn’t take notice. They boarded the southeast bound bus together, and Flo P sat down opposite, still uninterested in him. She was rifling around in her bag, looking for the recipe, when she looked up and made eye contact.

He looked at her normally for a couple seconds, and Flo P stared briskly back, and then, just before he looked down, his face registered shock. It looked like he’d had the fright of his life. Am I that ugly? Flo P wondered, annoyed. He should have better manners; what a drip.  

She eventually got off at Tire Street, and walking along, wondering where she’d find Saraha. The boy was put out of her mind as she stumbled across a shop where she’d find the perfect tent Logan had wanted. She walked in, but the store was way too expensive, so she exited, catching a flash of blue as she left.

Was that the boy from the bus?

She looked again, but the flash was gone, so she continued on her way slightly perturbed.

“FLOOOOO P!” a voice shouted across the busy intersection at Tire Street. Flo P’s head snapped around, and she saw Saraha running across at the other side of the street. “WHAT’S YOUR SHOE SIZE?”

“What?” Flo P asked, meeting up with her friend.

“What’s your shoes size? And Logan’s and Casper’s, for that matter. That is, if Snuggle Boy will be accompanying us for more of our journey into oblivion.”

“Oh, I’m a five and a half, Logan’s a men’s nine, and I think Casper’s something like a ten,” Flo P said, and brandishing her purchases in Saraha’s direction, she continued: “Do you think this is enough? I still need to find that tent, and don’t get me started about those hook-things Logan wanted. I can’t find them anywhere.”

But Saraha had already whirled around and was running down the street. Flo P watched her for a bit, then located a map that showed her the bus routes. She boarded one, and headed down to Dunner Boulevard. As the bus was sliding away, was there that blue hoodie walking down the road, or was it her imagination? Flo P tried to convince herself everything was okay, and that it was her overactive imagination, but for some reason, she was still a bit startled.


Saraha was haggling with the manager of Gerry’s Hiking Equipment. He was being totally unreasonable, in her opinion, and she longed to cut off his annoying little ponytail, which hung limply on his porky neck.

“Can’t you order it without the extra fee?” Saraha said. “I’m a broke kid who needs to buy hiking shoes for my friends because I lost a bet. I’m already paying nearly one hundred dollars here! Isn’t there some sort of discount?”

“No,” the man said stubbornly, and at that point Saraha was so angered that she stomped out of the shop. But she didn’t look where she was going, and she slammed into someone as she was exiting the door. Luckily, the bag full of shoeboxes blocked her, but whoever was on the receiving end had a bunch of cardboard corners in their chest and stomach.

“Watch were you’re going,” said a boy in a dark blue hoodie. His voice was annoyed, but Saraha could register amazement, perhaps, or surprise, or alarm, in his face.

“Watch where you’re going,” she said, and quickly left. Had he recognized her? All she could do was hope he wasn’t going to go so far as to report it. Saraha made for the hotel immediately, but she could feel him behind her – she knew he wasn’t far away.

“Logan, is Flo P back yet? Oh, hell, the worst thing happened, you wouldn’t believe,” Saraha moaned, storming into the room. Casper and Ji-Ji had come back from scouting around, and she and Casper were giggling like Geordies in the corner. What had just transpired, Saraha did not want to know.

“Logan!” she cried, and flew down next to him. “I have the worst feeling ever – I think someone recognized me – We have to leave now – Frick-fracking hell!”

“What? What did they look like? Do you think they’ll tell anyone? Calm down, and recount this from the beginning,” Logan said calmly, but he could feel the panic rising in his throat, threatening to consume him.

“He’s this boy; he might be our age, maybe a tad older. I know he knew who I was – I could see it on his face alright, and you just know sometimes when someone thinks something, and that was now. I kept seeing flashes of him on the way home, it’s like he was stalking me or something. He was wearing a blue sweater,” added Saraha.

Just at that moment, the door flew open, and Flo P entered, looking harassed and terrified and vexed all in one. “Someone’s been following me, and he’s right outside the hotel.” She crossed the room, ignoring Casper and Ji-Ji, and plopping down in front of Logan. “Some blue sweatshirt freak! Shart, Logan, what if he’s recognized me?”

Saraha’s mouth had popped open, and was hanging there. “YOU saw that guy too?”

So Flo P recounted her story of seeing him on the bus, and then the creepy feeling as if he was following her, and finally seeing him outside the hotel, leaning against the wall casually, and Saraha matched it with the events that had taken place with her. Logan was scared, and he tried to ignore the crashing, rushing, pounding waves in his ears, be he knew that they’d have to confront this person, whoever it was. So he called Ji-Ji and Casper over, and briefed them, and at once, Casper jumped up.

They followed him outside to see him accosting the boy, who was backed against the wall, staring at him.

“I know who you are,” the boy said coolly. “There’s no point in beating me up, or whatever you plan on doing. I don’t care, I just wanted to see if it was the people that the Government’s looking for so much in the first place. It is.

“I’m not scared to give you my name, if you’re so worried,” he continued. “I’m – ”

5 comments:

  1. Who's the boy? TELL ME RIGHT NOW I'M GONNA DIE OF CURIOSITY AHHHH
    ~ }:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~.~ The boy.

    ~ }:) KPs, hmmm? *French accent*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ze french accent, oui?
    :DDDDDDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oui, ze accent francaise is tres tres popular at ze moment.

      Delete